Today I’m fortunate to have Jon Hyman on the show. Jon is an Employment Lawyer and in essence, the voice on the other end of a phone when a business needs advice on firing an employee, a policy or agreement drafted, guidance on a leave of absence, disability accommodation, or internal complaint or investigation, or any others issue that plague human resources professionals and businesses daily. And when the need arises, Jon works in litigation and has likely seen all sorts of appalling behaviour by both employers and employees, both of which shall not be named!
Jon is one of my favourite people to follow on LinkedIn, for multiple reasons:
So, get ready to ‘witness’ a conversation where we ‘raise the bar’!
In this fun conversation, Jon and I cover:
- how legal dramas on TV compare to working in a law firm in real life
- what were some of Jon's career defining roles and how he got hired there
- how a random call Jon accidentally answered changed the trajectory of his career
- Why Jon decided to work on the employer side, and not on the employee: Jon shares his decision making process, which I think can help you if you are at a similar crossroad
- The most facepalm moment (there have been many!) Jon has witnessed in his legal career.
If you're looking for a fun, thought provoking conversation and learn life lessons directly from an employment lawyer, this is an episode you cannot miss!
On LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/jonathanhyman/
Jon's blog: https://www.ohioemployerlawblog.com/
The blog article we talked about during the show
Jon's podcast with his daughter Norah: https://norahanddadshow.buzzsprout.com/
Liked this episode? A few things:
1. Share the podcast with three of your closest friends! And please leave a great review on Apple Podcasts here or Spotify here (tap on the three-dot menu under the cover art of the podcast) , as it would mean a lot to me and hopefully help others discover it.
2. You will love my emails called Charge-Up! I send them once every few weeks.. they're no fluff no spam, where I share my favourite career insights from movies, TV shows, news and my own personal experiences, that I don't share anywhere else. Make sure you sign up here!
3. Come hang out with me LIVE on LinkedIn and Youtube every Friday at 2 pm CET where I answer your questions and often bring in fab guests:
4. Share your favourite takeaways and tag me on your Instagram and LinkedIn: